Are you an SEO marketer looking for the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions related to OpenAIs newly launched ChatGPT for SEO purposes?
We gathered all the questions we could come up with (and then some) and provided answers as well as examples.
We are continuously updating user statistics around ChatGPT, if that is what you are looking for.
Let's dive in!
1. How can ChatGPT help improve the search engine ranking of a website?
This is a rather complex question. Please see our blog post about ChatGPT examples for SEO or read through many of the questions in this FAQ. That should give you a good understanding of how to use it.
2. How does ChatGPT analyze and understand natural language text?
ChatGPT is a large language model trained by OpenAI. It uses machine learning algorithms to analyze and understand natural language text.
The model is trained on a massive amount of text data, which it uses to learn the patterns and structures of natural language. When given a new piece of text, the model uses this knowledge to generate a response that is coherent and relevant to the input.
The process is like this:
- First, ChatGPT receives some input text, which it breaks down into individual words and phrases.
- Next, it uses its knowledge of the rules and structure of human language to analyze the relationships between these words and phrases, in order to understand the overall meaning of the input text.
- Once it has understood the input text, ChatGPT uses its knowledge of the context and information it has learned from previous conversations to generate a response that is relevant and makes sense in the current conversation.
- Finally, ChatGPT outputs the response as text, which can be read and understood by humans.
3. Can ChatGPT be used to generate keyword-rich content for a website?
Yes, ChatGPT can be used to generate text that contains keywords and related semantic keywords. But it can be annoying that it does not understand the full context of an article or that you need to see it write everything again when you want to expand the text. That's why we see people preferring SEO.ai which is built on the same technology.
4. How can ChatGPT be used to identify and target specific keywords and phrases for SEO?
ChatGPT is a powerful tool that can be used to identify and target specific keywords and phrases for SEO. It uses natural language processing (NLP) to analyze the content of web pages and identify the most relevant keywords and phrases.
It can then suggest the best keywords and phrases to target for SEO purposes. It also provides insights into the competition for each keyword, helping you to identify the most effective keywords to target. With ChatGPT, you can easily identify and target the most relevant keywords and phrases for SEO, helping you to optimize your website and maximize your search engine rankings.
We made a whole blog post on how you can use ChatGPT for keyword research.
5. Can ChatGPT help with link building and external link analysis?
We have not seen any examples of this yet. If it were to help with external link building, it would be an automated tool that would do outreach and automate the dialogue with the blogs and influencers that might respond. Maybe a business idea?
6. How can ChatGPT be integrated with other SEO tools and platforms?
Currently, there is no API for ChatGPT (there are different unofficial APIs) hence no platforms have integrated the solution.
But as many tools today use some of the same technology (the GPT-3 from OpenAI) you can get some of the powers from them and use it in a somehow similar way. See the example video here from SEO.ai:
7. Can ChatGPT provide insights and analysis on the effectiveness of an SEO strategy?
No, and maybe, ChatGPT is not able to browse the internet so it won't out of the box be able to make an analysis of your SEO strategy. So if you want it to make an analysis you will need to describe what you are doing / what strategy you follow and then have it give feedback on that. Not what most people would be looking for.
8. How can ChatGPT be used to track and monitor the performance of a website in search engine results?
ChatGPT is not capable of accessing the internet, so it will not be able to automatically track and monitor the performance of a website in the SERPs.
9. Can ChatGPT assist with on-page optimization, such as optimizing title tags and meta descriptions?
Yes, if you copy the title tags and meta description, you can make a prompt and ask ChatGPT better.
A prompt could look like this:
10. How can ChatGPT help with competitor analysis and staying up-to-date with industry trends in SEO?
No, it can help you stay up to date as it's only trained on data available up until a specific date in time. But if you are not up to speed it might tell you about some of the most hyped SEO trends, although our small test shows that's the rather general trends it will output.
What are the most recent hyped SEO trends?
It's difficult for me to accurately answer this question because my knowledge was cut off in 2021 and I am not able to browse the internet or access updated information. However, there are a few general principles of search engine optimization (SEO) that remain important regardless of the latest trends:
Create high-quality, relevant content: Search engines want to provide users with the most relevant and useful results, so it's important to create content that is both informative and engaging.
Use relevant keywords: Incorporating relevant keywords into your website's content can help search engines understand what your site is about and improve its ranking in search results.
Make your website mobile-friendly: As more and more people use mobile devices to access the internet, it's important to ensure that your website is optimized for mobile.
Use social media to promote your website: Sharing your website on social media platforms can help drive traffic to your site and improve its visibility in search results.
Improve website loading speed: Faster loading times can improve the user experience and help your website rank higher in search results.
Use header tags and title tags appropriately: Proper use of header tags and title tags can help search engines understand the structure and content of your website and improve its ranking in search results.
Use alt tags for images: Alt tags provide a text alternative for images and can help search engines understand the content of your website and improve its ranking in search results.
By following these general principles and staying up-to-date with the latest industry developments, you can help improve your website's visibility in search results and attract more traffic.
11. How can ChatGPT assist with identifying and addressing technical SEO issues on a website?
It can't. Unless you know what you are looking for and ask how to do a specific implementation. That's one of the breakthroughs with ChatGPT. That it will output code examples. Here I made it provide the code for implementing noindex.
12. Can ChatGPT help with local SEO, such as optimizing for specific geographic locations or languages?
It can't directly assist with local SEO, but it can help with language versions and do a translation for you on the text you input. You can also instruct it to what level it should make the translation like it needs to be A1 or C1.
13. How can ChatGPT be used to conduct keyword research and identify high-potential keywords and phrases?
There are many different ways you can do this. The easiest method is to ask it to generate a list of keywords related to a specific subject.
Prompt: Make a list of keywords related to ChatGPT and marketing
Here are a few keywords related to ChatGPT and marketing:
- Natural language processing
- Language model
- Artificial intelligence
- Virtual assistant
- Customer service
- Marketing automation
- Lead generation
- Customer segmentation
- Targeted marketing
- Conversion rate optimization
- Marketing analytics
- Marketing strategy
- Content marketing
- Social media marketing
These keywords could be used to optimize content for search engines or to help guide marketing efforts for a product or service related to ChatGPT or artificial intelligence.
You can see more examples of SEO keyword research in our blog post with examples.
14. Can ChatGPT help with optimizing images and other multimedia content for SEO?
No, ChatGPT is only text-based and you can't provide it other, nor would it be able to understand it.
15. How can ChatGPT assist with creating and implementing an effective content marketing strategy for SEO?
It can't help with the implementation, but you can just ask it for a suggestion on an effective SEO strategy. The prompt could be something like this:
how to make an effective SEO content marketing strategy for an architecture firm specialized in house additions
16. Can ChatGPT be used to monitor and analyze the performance of individual pages on a website, and identify opportunities for optimization?
ChatGPT does not have the capability to browse the web, so it is unable to track and evaluate the effectiveness of a website. This means that ChatGPT cannot be used to measure the success of a website in terms of its traffic, user engagement, or other metrics - or how it ranks on specific keywords. This also limits how it can identify opportunities for optimization unless you describe in detail the pages and then ask it for suggestions.
17. How can ChatGPT help with tracking and analyzing backlinks to a website, and identifying high-quality link opportunities?
ChatGPT is not capable of accessing the internet, so it will not be able to automatically track and monitor the performance of a website in the SERPs.
18. Can ChatGPT assist with identifying and addressing any negative SEO tactics or spammy links that may be affecting a website's ranking?
ChatGPT does not have access to the internet, so it cannot determine what could be causing issues with your website or if competitors are using unethical tactics such as spammy links to harm your site.
19. How can ChatGPT be used to optimize for featured snippets and other search engine features that can improve visibility and traffic?
You can use ChatGPT for generating a lot of questions and then also help with the answers. This might improve your chance of a featured snippet.
20. Can ChatGPT provide insights and analysis on the performance of paid search campaigns, and help with optimizing ad copy and keywords for maximum effectiveness?
ChatGPT can't help you with insights and analysis of a paid search campaign, as there is no way it can access the data. However, it will be able to assist with optimizing ad copy, as you can ask it to create a range of different versions for inspiration.
21. How can ChatGPT assist with identifying and addressing any duplicate content issues on a website?
I have seen some examples where people ask it to check for duplicate content (they had to insert the text they thought might be duplicate - so not very practical either), but not any that were working when I tried them in practice. This is again because ChatGPT cannot access the internet, it's just trained on some internet data.
22. How can ChatGPT assist with generating catchy SEO titles?
If you provide a title (or multiple) you can simply ask ChatGPT to generate versions that are more catchy if you believe the original ones lack something.
23. How can ChatGPT be used to analyze and improve the user experience on a website, and enhance its relevance and value for search engines?
ChatGPT is best at answering questions on what to do. It can browse a website. And even if it could, it would only be able to provide feedback on the text, not the UI/UX as it's a language model.
24. Can ChatGPT assist with identifying and leveraging long-tail keywords and phrases for SEO?
Yes, not by looking at the data but by generating suggestions for long-tail keywords and phrases.
what are some of the long-tail keywords and search phrases people looking for an architect in relation to building an addition to their house might use
Here are a few long-tail keywords and search phrases that people looking for an architect in relation to building an addition to their house might use:
"Architect for house additions"
"Designing a home addition"
"Architecture firms specializing in home additions"
"Addition plans for houses"
"House addition ideas"
"Cost of hiring an architect for a home addition"
"How to choose an architect for a home addition"
"Home addition design tips"
"House addition contractors near me"
"Home addition design and construction process"
By incorporating these keywords and phrases into your website's content and meta tags, you can help improve your website's visibility in search results for people looking for an architect to help with building an addition to their house. It's important to note that the specific keywords and phrases people use will depend on their location, budget, and other factors, so it's a good idea to conduct keyword research to identify the most relevant and popular keywords for your target audience.
25. How can ChatGPT help with optimizing the loading speed and performance of a website for search engines and users?
No, as it's not able to test the loading speed of a website it won't either be able to benchmark, optimize or suggest what to do.
26. Can ChatGPT be used to conduct A/B testing and experimentation to optimize a website's content and design for SEO?
I can't see a way this could be achieved. You might be able to ask it for different suggestions on WHAT to A/B test. But it won't be able to conduct the actual experimentation and test.
27. How can ChatGPT assist with tracking and analyzing the performance of a website across different devices and platforms?
No, ChatGPT is just trained on a large amount of data but it can't access data,
You might be able to provide some numbers for it and then get its feedback, as it can see some patterns. Maybe something to test. But I believe the effort to do so would be higher than what you most like can achieve.
28. Can ChatGPT help with optimizing for voice search and other emerging technologies and trends in SEO?
I can't see how it should be able to do this, and neither have I seen any other try experiments that would somehow allow you to do this.
30. How can ChatGPT be used to create and maintain a comprehensive SEO plan and strategy that aligns with a business's goals and objectives?
You can ask it to come up with an overall plan for your brand or client (like in the example above for the content marketing plan for an architecture firm). Especially if you also can provide it with the goals you want to achieve. But the result is still initially rather overall/scratching the surface and we experience that people often miss the actual points on exactly what to do.
30. Can ChatGPT provide insights and analysis on the performance of a website's organic traffic and conversions, and help with identifying opportunities for improvement?
No, ChatGPT is not capable of accessing the internet or being integrated with Google Analytics data or any other tracking you might have for your website.
It can only identify opportunities if you ask it to elaborate on an input. This could be stating that you today are addressing this list of keywords, and then have it expand the list with additional ones.
31. How can ChatGPT assist with identifying and addressing any crawl errors or other technical issues that may be impacting a website's search engine performance?
ChatGPT is not able to browse the internet so it will neither be able to crawl your website nor be integrated with Google Search Console.
If you have identified a technical issue you can ask how to fix it with code examples.
32. Can ChatGPT help with optimizing the structure and formatting of a website's content for search engines and users?
Yes, you can actually ask ChatGPT for the logical way to structure and organize a text. Try to ask it for creating an outline and then include subheadings as well.
33. How can ChatGPT be used to conduct keyword mapping and identify the most relevant and effective keywords and phrases for each page on a website?
You can ask ChatGPT to provide a list of keywords as well as a group of these. If you want keywords or phrases to add for a specific page, you need to insert the text of that page in ChatGPT, as it won't be able to crawl it itself.
See some of the examples here in this blog post about SEO examples with ChatGPT.
34. Can ChatGPT assist with creating and implementing a comprehensive content marketing strategy that aligns with a website's SEO goals and objectives?
ChatGPT can help with creating the outline of a content marketing strategy, and you can ask it to elaborate on each part of the suggestions. If you want it to be aligned with SEO goals (meaning ranking for specific keywords) you also need to include these in the instructions.
35. How can ChatGPT help with monitoring and analyzing the performance of a website's backlinks, and identifying opportunities for acquiring high-quality links?
ChatGPT is not capable of accessing the internet, so it will not be able to monitor or track the performance of backlinks to your website. The same goes for spotting opportunities for the acquisition of backlinks.
36. Can ChatGPT be used to conduct site audits and identify any technical or content-related issues that may be impacting a website's search engine ranking?
ChatGPT does not have the ability to access the internet, so it is unable to analyze or identify any technical issues that may be impacting your Google rankings on your website.
If you identify a technical issue first, you might be able to get ChatGPT to provide you with examples of how to address it.
37. How can ChatGPT assist with optimizing a website's meta tags and other on-page elements for maximum visibility and relevance in search results?
it is possible to get assistance on how to create better meta tags, title tags etc by asking ChatGPT for some that are more optimized.
An example could be like this for our own homepage:
Make the meta titles and content more selling and optimised in this:
<meta charset="utf-8"/><title>SEO.ai - Artificial Intelligence For Your SEO Work</title><meta content="SEO.ai let's you harness the superpowers of world-leading generative artificial intelligence for generating high-quality SEO keyword research and A.I. copywriting." name="description"/><meta content="SEO.ai - Artificial Intelligence For Your SEO Work" property="og:title"/><meta content="SEO.ai let's you harness the superpowers of world-leading generative artificial intelligence for generating high-quality SEO keyword research and A.I. copywriting." property="og:description"/>
Here are some suggestions for optimizing the meta titles and content in the provided code snippet:
- Use unique and descriptive meta titles: Instead of just saying "SEO.ai," you could consider adding a tagline that summarizes the main benefit of using the tool, such as "Revolutionize Your SEO Strategy with AI-Powered Insights."
- Use relevant keywords: Include relevant keywords in the meta titles and content to help search engines understand the topic of your page and improve its ranking. For example, you could mention specific SEO tasks that the tool helps with, such as keyword research or copywriting.
- Make the content compelling: The meta description is an opportunity to grab the attention of potential users and convince them to click on your page. Consider highlighting the key features and benefits of the tool, and how it can help users save time or achieve better results.
- Keep it concise: Meta titles and descriptions should be concise and to-the-point, as they are often truncated in search results. Aim for around 60 characters for the meta title and 160 characters for the meta description.
<meta charset="utf-8"/><title>AI-Powered SEO Tool | SEO.ai</title>
<meta content="Maximize your SEO efforts with SEO.ai, the world-leading AI tool for generating high-quality keyword research and A.I. copywriting. Try it now and see the results for yourself." name="description"/><meta content="AI-Powered SEO Tool | SEO.ai" property="og:title"/><meta content="Maximize your SEO efforts with SEO.ai, the world-leading AI tool for generating high-quality keyword research and A.I. copywriting. Try it now and see the results for yourself." property="og:description"/>
38. Can ChatGPT assist with creating and implementing a comprehensive SEO plan that aligns with a business's goals and objectives, and helps to drive long-term success in search engine results?
I have seen many be quite impressed when they get ChatGPT to answer these more "strategic" assignments. And yes, it can generate the outlines for an SEO plan (suggestions on what different areas to focus on), but will often come short when the plan also needs actionable steps. Here you can get some inspiration from ChatGPT by asking it to elaborate on that. Remember to tell it what objective it needs to focus on, otherwise, it will be rather generic.
39. How can ChatGPT assist with generating unique and engaging content ideas for a website?
Just ask it - either to provide keyword examples or actual titles. Or both as the same time in a table.
You can ask it something like:
make suggestions for keywords and a title for each for blog post relevant for an architecture firm specialized in house additions . Output as a table
40. Can ChatGPT help with conducting keyword research and identifying high-potential keywords and phrases for a website's content?
It can't identify it for your website per se (as it can't crawl it). But you can describe your audience or what type of company you are and get it to make suggestions for keyword and phrases that are relevant content.
41. Can ChatGPT assist with creating and implementing a content calendar and publishing schedule that aligns with a website's SEO goals and objectives?
Maybe not a calendar, but it can assist with seasonality suggestions.
Are there any topics or content that are related to a season or certain time of year, if we as an architecture firm specialized in house additions would want to create relevant content?
Yes, there are a few topics related to seasons or certain times of the year that you could consider for your blog if you are an architecture firm specializing in house additions. Here are some ideas:
- "Winterizing Your House Addition: Tips and Tricks" - This could be a useful post for homeowners who are planning to add on to their home during the colder months. It could include information on how to insulate and seal the addition to make it more energy efficient and comfortable during the winter.
- "Summer Home Additions: How to Stay Cool and Comfortable" - This post could focus on design and construction strategies for keeping a house addition cool during the hot summer months. It could include information on ventilation, shading, and other techniques to help homeowners stay comfortable in their new space.
- "Fall Home Improvement Projects: Adding on to Your House" - This post could focus on the benefits of starting a house addition project during the fall season, including more favorable weather and potential cost savings. It could also include information on how to prepare for a house addition project during this time of year.
- "Spring Cleaning for Your House Addition" - This post could offer tips and strategies for maintaining and cleaning a house addition, particularly after the winter months. It could include information on how to clean windows, doors, and other surfaces in the addition, as well as suggestions for refreshing the space with new paint or decor.
I hope these ideas are helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.
42. Can ChatGPT help with identifying and addressing any duplicate content issues on a website, and ensuring that all content is unique and valuable?
No, as ChatGPT can't crawl your site (and the rest of the sites on the internet) it can identify duplicate content.
You can use it if there is some content you are aware of being duplicate content by asking it to rephrase it.
43. Can ChatGPT write essays?
Yes, and its very good at it. You can even write in the format of known authors. Try to ask it to write in a tone like 'Mark Twain' or 'Ernest Hemingway'
44. Can ChatGPT write blog posts?
Yes, it can draft a blog post. But as with any AI created content, you should work on creating people first content to adhere to Google AI guidelines. This means asking yourself if this is something that is meaningful for the others user just spam generated because you can create it fast. Go for the first.
45. Are there good ChatGPT alternatives?
We see more and more ChatGPT alternatives emerge. What alternative you should be looking for depends on what problem you want to be solved. If it's creating a blog post, we encourage you to take our SEO.ai platform for a spin (you can see a quick demo here). We use a lot of the same technology and you can input prompts.
46. Does open has a chatgpt api?
Not yet. There are multiple un-official ones out there, but OpenAI have not released the API yet. This is a bit like what we saw with DALL·E 2, where you initially could use it but there was not an available API. Today there is an API available. So we expect this to be the same at some point for ChatGPT.
47. Which ChatGPT prompts can I use?
It's only your imagination that limits what prompts that can be used.
48. Can ChatGPT help with identifying keyword search intent?
Yes, Torbjorn, my colleague, utilized the ChatGPT platform to evaluate its potential for categorizing search intent for a variety of keywords.
See the video below:
49. Can ChatGPT help with optimizing the structure and navigation of a website for search engines and users?
You might be able to ask it for suggestions. Or for code examples on different types of navigation. But I have not seen any examples of it optimizing a website structure.